UK – Tree cutting is a dangerous activity that is why when you are faced with a tree problem that can only be remedied by tree felling, make sure to call in the professionals because they are the ones who are fully capable of successfully cutting your trees without you being exposed to harm. But if you live in an area where there are no available tree fellers, and if tree cutting isn’t regulated in your area, then you would have no choice but to cut the tree down yourself. To help you out a bit in keeping yourself safe, here are some effective tips and techniques you can use when cutting trees.
Use the right equipment
The road to learning and safety begins with getting the proper equipment. You must always use the right equipment responsibly and they must always be in good shape when you use them. Don’t forget to test the equipment before you cut down the tree.
- The primary tool used in cutting down a tree is the chainsaw. It is the most important piece of equipment you would need. Your chainsaw should be about 3.5 in horsepower and should have a 20 inch bar.
- Safety Eyewear. Don’t overlook the safety of your eyes. When cutting the tree, flying debris could go into your eyes when you use the chainsaw.
- Leg Protection. Wear leg protection because if you hit a knot in the tree, the chainsaw might bounce back and hit your leg.
- 1000 LB Test Rope. The rope you will use should be three times longer than the height of your tree. The extra length could be used as a backup when needed.
- First of all, you should have some friends over to help you out.
- Determine how long the tree is and then use its height to determine the direction it should fall.
- Clear the fall area of anything that might get damaged.
- Tie one end of the rope to the middle section of the tree.
- Give the other end to your friends and have them stand outside the fall zone.
- Proceed to cutting a v-shaped notch into the tree on the side you want it to fall.
- The ‘v’ should cut through the center and must be at knee height.
- Move to the other side and proceed to cutting until you hit the notch. Move away from the tree as it begins to fall at a 45 degree angle.
- If the tree doesn’t fall all the way, or if it hits another tree, use the rope to pull the tree.
However, if you do have capable tree surgeons to call like Ark Fencing & Treework, do not hesitate to call them because they’ll be able to do a much better job than you ever will.